In today’s market, even beginners have hundreds of drones to choose from. But most of the low-priced models are cheap knockoffs, others lack durability, and only a few are truly worthwhile. Air Hogs offers a unique, versatile quadcopter designed to withstand countless crash landings. It combines a stable, simplified flying experience with the ability to perform barrel rolls, flips and many other stunts. To provide an in-depth look at the drone, our Air Hogs Helix X4 review details all the deciding factors including design, build quality, performance, value, and special features.
Air Hogs Helix X4 Drone Main Specs
|Camera Resolution||Weight||Ideal for (Indoor/Outdoor/Both)||Flight Time||Control Type||Amazon Rating||Our Rating|
|N/A||1.4 pounds||Indoor||7-10 minutes||2.4 GHz controller||3.8/ 5 stars||4.6/ 5 stars|
Since it’s a beginner quadcopter, the Helix X4 has no camera mounts. However, unlike most models in its class, it doesn’t lack the speed or performance of a full-fledged stunt drone. Here are the most noteworthy features:
- Triple-Bladed Propellers (most consumer drones have two-blade propellers)
- Ducted Fans boost thrust and maneuverability without sacrificing efficiency.
- Automatic Gyro-Stabilization keeps the aircraft even at all times, eliminating the need for trim control.
Of course, the extra power implies rougher crash landings, so Air Hogs encased the whole machine in a tough foam-polymer frame. The motors, propellers and all other moving parts are fully protected from all sides.
Flying the Air Hogs Helix X4 Drone
Whether or not you’ve flown a quadcopter before, this one is guaranteed to give you a whole new experience. Aside from surprising speeds, the drone is extremely responsive. As a matter of fact, the controls can seem too sensitive at first. Gyro-stabilization keeps it horizontal by automatically adjusting the trim. Yet, the X4 still takes some getting used to.
Unfortunately, the Helix X4 resembles a toy hovercraft rather than a drone. It comes in four different colors, but the bulky, solid frame is anything but visually attractive. So, if you’re looking for a sleek, modern aircraft that’s easy on the eyes, this is probably not the right model for you.
On the other hand, this unique “solid frame” design makes it virtually indestructible. Plus, after a few test runs, controlling the drone becomes a highly intuitive task. That’s because, aside from shielding the propellers, the Air Hogs frame acts as ducting. And ducted fans are the key to this drone’s performance.
Air Hogs Helix X4 Drone Remote Control & Accessories
The X4’s transmitter was designed with simplicity in mind. Even if you’ve never flown an RC aircraft before, you’ll find it extremely user-friendly. All you need to do is choose between Expert and Beginner modes, depending on your experience level. Then, pair the remote with your drone, which is possible from a reasonable distance thanks to the 2.4 GHz transmitter. That’s it – you’re prepared for takeoff.
While the transmitter’s shape and weight might seem unimportant, comfort does make a difference when it comes to concentration. Well, this ergonomically designed, light-weight controller is so perfect that it deserves its own Air Hogs Helix X4 review.
Here’s everything that comes standard with the drone:
- One controller, which comes with a separate charger;
- One USB charger;
- User Manual & Instruction Guide.
Air Hogs Helix X4 Drone – Our Verdict
Unfortunately, there is no one-size-fits-all drone in the beginner category. Our Air Hogs Helix X4 review gives you a pretty clear picture of what to expect. But, to put things in perspective, you should consider all the advantages and disadvantages of this drone.
What We Like
- Value. You’d be hard-pressed to find a quadcopter of matching quality for such a low price. The X4 is easily one of the best drones available for less than $100.
- Versatility. Thanks to its rugged foam-polymer frame, this aircraft can really take a hit.
- Ease of Use. With simplified flight controls and automatic gyro-stabilization, the X4 couldn’t be easier to operate. To top that off, you can do flips and barrel rolls with a single push of a button.
- Performance. Sure, there are plenty of powerful models on the market, but none are this efficient. With four ducted fans and triple-bladed propellers, the Helix can outperform any drone that runs on the same batteries.
What We Don’t Like
- Visual Design. Even while performing complex stunts and maneuvers, the drone looks like a kid’s toy.
- Flight Time. Air Hogs claims that a fully charged X4 can fly for 7-10 minutes, which is just below standard. But, according to multiple users, even that figure is overestimated. On average they reported a flight time of 4-6 minutes.
- No Camera. Generally, there’s no need for a camera on an indoor drone for beginners. That said, numerous similar models simply include a mounting system, which will come in handy sooner or later.
What Users Say
While an overwhelming number of users described their experience positively, you don’t need to look far to find a negative Air Hogs Helix X4 review. But, aside from picky users and a few isolated incidents, every bad Air Hogs Helix X4 review addresses the same two issues.
The most common issue is the battery. Some users say the drone can’t handle more than a few minutes of flight time, while others report that it takes almost two hours to charge. One reviewer described his experience as fun, yet disappointing. He thoroughly enjoys flying the X4 but only gets to use it for 4-5 minutes before the battery dies.
Another reoccurring complaint concerns the size of this drone, which is reportedly misrepresented in photos. This user bought it as a gift for her nephew and was disappointed when he opened a large box but saw a tiny drone inside.
That being said, most users are happy with their quadcopter. For instance, one reviewer was amazed at how sturdy the Helix was. After he crashed outside, landing on concrete, and his toddler smashed it against a wall in mid-flight, it still works like new.
Overall, the X4 is a solid choice for beginners. It combines several excellent technical features with best-in-class performance and a nearly indestructible design.
To be fair, we also pointed out a number of flaws throughout out Air Hogs Helix X4 review. But, though it’s far from perfect, the X4’s advantages clearly outweigh its downsides. In addition to that, the drone gets you more bang for your buck than any similar model.
Have you used the Helix X4 or a similar beginner quadcopter? What do you think about the aircraft? Do you still have questions after reading this? Please don’t hesitate to share your thoughts or questions in the comments.