In our quest for the best video drone, we researched not only the manufacturer’s specifications, but we also looked at tons of user reviews. These are what we felt were the 10 best aerial video drones on the market today when it comes to price, reliability, and ability to capture solid video. A number of video drones can also take excellent still shots, and we took that into account when we set out to rank them.
5 Best Video Drones Overview
|Drone Name||Camera Type||Video Resolution||Number of Rotors||Flight Time||Remote Control Type||Amazon Rating||Our Rating|
|Autel Robotics X-Star||4K HD Video||12 Megapixel||4||25 min.||Android/iOS mobile app||4.5 stars||5 stars|
|DJI Inspire1Pro||X5 4K Video||h.264 16MP||4||15 min.||Flight Stick||5 stars||4.5 stars|
|Ehang AVR-IOS-05-3||FPV||93° 4K 12MP Video||4||25 min.||Android/iOS Mobile App||4 stars||3.5 stars|
|DJI Phantom 4 PRO+||Tracking CMOS Sensor Camera||20MP||4||30 min.||Android app||4.5 stars||3.5 stars|
|AirDog Action Sports Drone||GoPro Hero3 or 4||Reliant on User||4||16 min.||AirLeash||3.5 stars||3 stars|
10. Freefly Alta 8 Specs & Features
- Fast Setup - Unpacks, ready to shoot, in under five minutes
- Heavy Payloads - Optimized for up to 15-pound payloads
- Sky View and Ground View Configurations - Capture cinematic aerial shots like never before with the option to mount the...
The Freefly Alta 8 is an incredible piece of equipment. It’s an 8-rotor aerial drone that can carry up to 20 pounds and flies for such a long time that the company doesn’t actually certify the battery length. Due to the Sky and Ground configurations, the drone is able to take unbelievable cinematic aerial shots. View It’s best to fly it outside, since it will need a lot of room.
Unfortunately, it ranks low on the list because its price ranges from around $11,000-12,000, which isn’t realistic for most buyers. Couple this with the fact that it requires registration, and you have a dream that won’t be fulfilled any time soon.
- Best-in-class battery performance;
- Stunning video;
- Ability to mount nearly any camera you’d like to it;
- Unrealistically expensive;
- Heavy enough to require extensive FAA registrations;
9. UPair Video Drone, Drone with Camera, 2.7K HD Camera
Specs & Features
- 2.7K HD Camera: Built-in advanced Sony lens, fine capture from every wonderful moment with a high-resolution of 12MP,...
- GPS positioning function: The GPS system allows you to get accurate position information of your quadcopter. Integrated...
- FPV Live Transmission: The drone remote equipped with a 7-inch LCD screen, you can easily see the flight image from the...
The UPair Video Drone, Drone with Camera, 2.7K HD Camera features a very unusual inverted design that you won’t see from many other manufacturers. This design helps to keep the vehicle controlled when there are high winds. The price range is quite vast, with units up for sale for anywhere from $170-900. It’s one of the best aerial video drones for filming athletic events.
- 4K Sports Video Camera;
- Compatible with iOS and Android phones;
- Range of up to 25 minutes with a half-mile range;
- Some camera settings have low FPS;
- Poor documentation;
8. DJI CP.BX.000212 Specs & Features
While it might have a rather strange name, the DJI CP.BX.0A00212 is one of the best video drone models designed for professionals who need around 15-20 minutes of flight time while filming the action below. The fast reaction time of its lenses makes it perfect for capturing anything that’s fast moving. Unfortunately, the price of around $2,800-3,000 will keep it out of the hands of most UAV pilots.
- 2K image processing system;
- 360° rotating gimbal;
- Features control via app;
- Smart flight modes;
- High image quality;
- Extremely expensive;
- May require registration in some areas;
7. Yuneec Typhoon H Specs & Features
- The Typhoon H Pro with Intel RealSense Technology, winner of the 2016 Consumer Electronics Show
You can order the Yuneec Typhoon H drone for around $1,800-2,000, which is a really good deal in many ways since it comes with a complete repair kit and a video monitor mounted in the remote controller. The electronics can drain the battery, but you’ll know after 12-15 minutes if you still have enough juice for an outside flight. The controller folds out to make a full ground station. The device has many cool features, such as automatic take-off, land, home return, GPS-stabilized flight control, and 8 intelligent flight modes. It is extremely easy to fly, and one of the best video drone for beginners.
- Kit comes with extra repair parts;
- 360° CGO3+ Camera;
- Comes complete with case;
6. Holy Stone GPS FPV RC Drone HS100 Specs & Features
- GPS assisted flight: Provides you with accurate positioning details of your drone. Built in Return-to-Home (RTH)...
- Optimized 1080P 120° FOV FPV Wi-Fi Camera: 90° Adjustable angle, captures high-quality video and aerial photos. You...
- Follow Me Mode: The drone will automatically follows and captures you wherever you move. Keeping you in the frame at all...
The same company that makes the Typhoon offers the Tornado H920 drone at around $3,000-3,200, though it should be noted that the telemetry controller system is actually a full-sized Android device. The 5.8GHz video downlink system offers excellent shots, but the fact that it only offers SD video kept it from moving up the list of otherwise great outdoor drones.
- Compatible with other Holy Stone
- Features carbon fiber frame;
- Comes with Panasonic GH4 camera;
- Ready to fly;
- Somewhat fragile and complex;
5. DJI Mavic Air Drone Quadcopter (Onyx Black) Starters Bundle
Specs & Features
- Capture 4K Video and 12MP Photos; 3-Axis Gimbal-Stabilized Camera
- GPS- & Vision Position-Based Navigation; 8GB of Internal Storage
- FlightAutonomy with Obstacle Detection; Top Speed of 43 mph in Sport Mode
You can fly the DJI Mavic Air Drone Quadcopter (Onyx Black) Starters Bundle from an included watch, and it follows along with the action you’re filming. Surfers and skateboarders stand by it to take radical videos, and it can certainly hold up to anything you throw at it. It is the best video drone for sport. The LiDAR ground collision system prevents accidents, but many users thought that the $1,300-1,500 price tag entitled them to the camera as well.
- Unique AirLeash remote controller sits on watch band;
- Waterproof design makes it worth putting on our best video drone list;
- Requires additional camera before functional;
4. DJI Mavic Pro Fly More Combo Collapsible Quadcopter Drone Bundle
Specs & Features
- Fly for miles. From your pocket; Inside the Mavic's pocket-sized remote controller is DJI's brand new OcuSync...
- Absolute Precision; FlightAutonomy technology means the Mavic can hover precisely in more environments, and...
- Use every single pixel; The Mavic is the only drone of its size to carry an integrated high-precision 3-axis mechanical...
DJI Mavic Pro Fly More Combo Collapsible Quadcopter Drone Bundle offers a cost of around $2,000, though you might have many of the products in the kit as it is. Users are able to take smooth aerial footage with this drone, due to the gimbal stabilization technology and hover function. The five-direction obstacle sensing system should let even new pilots fly this excellent drone while capturing great video.
- High-resolution camera;
- Very hefty battery;
- Kit comes with many things you might already have;
- Requires compatible mobile device;
3. Contixo F20 RC Remote App Controlled Quadcopter Drone
Specs & Features
- ADVANCED FEATURES FOR ALL LEVELS OF EXPERIENCE - Includes Follow Me, Automatic Hovering (Auto Hover) / Altitude Hold,...
- BUILT-IN, INTEGRATED 1080P HD WiFi CAMERA - Allows you to both take photos or record live video. Use your smartphone and...
- BRUSHLESS MOTOR & PRE-ASSEMBLED COMPACT DESIGN: Brushless Motor runs strongly with low noise. Breakdown rarely occurs,...
As long as you have a compatible mobile device running the right app, you can look through the included goggles for an incredible view. The FPV drone can make you feel like you’re flying outside, and the whole kit should cost around $900. You will be able to shoot 12 mega pixel photos and 4k videos with this drone camera, while the stability and weather resistance features increase flight performance.
- Long battery life;
- Extended view camera;
- Requires mobile device;
2. Holy Stone HS100 Drone Specs & Features
- Upgraded 1080P HD Wi-Fi Camera: Gives you 1080p HD real-time view of what your camera sees right on your mobile device,...
- GPS Positioning: Provides you with accurate positioning details of your drone and enables you to get more reliable...
- Follow Me Mode: The drone will automatically follow and captures you wherever you move. Keeping you in the frame at all...
You can have an Holy Stone HS100 Drone for around $3,400 or so, though DJI offers a number of different similar kits. This drone takes excellent video when it’s steady. While some users were concerned about a cut in flight time, it should still stay aloft for 15-18 minutes when outdoors.
- 720p video streaming to Android devices;
- Several integrated camera modes;
- Requires DJI parts;
1. Autel Robotics X-Star Specs & Features
- 4K Ultra HD video camera with quick-release 3-axis gimbal stabilizer
- HD Live View up to 1.2 miles away and autonomous flight modes via the free Starlink app for iOS or Android (mobile...
- Dual GPS/GLONASS outdoor navigation, SecureFlyTM magnetic interference protection, and the Starpoint Positioning...
With an excellent remote controller that also seats an iOS or Android mobile device, and an excellent gloss finished, the Autel Robotics X-Star Premium is ready to take on large indoor spaces as well as the great outdoors. Our first best video drone is a professional quadcopter that flies for around 25 minutes on a single charge. But some users say that they can get a full half-hour out of one depending on how they fly it.
A specially-designed 3-axis gimbal coupled to the navigational system ensures that you’ll always capture crystal-clear video since the drone won’t get knocked around.
- 2-mile camera view;
- Free app for iOS and Android;
- GPS/GLONASS navigational system;
- Rather expensive, but certainly more affordable than some others;
- Must get replacement parts from Autel;
By combining a mobile app with a traditional controller, engineers made the Autel Robotics X-Star Premium a pleasure to fly. It’s expensive, but we rated it highly because you’re getting a lot for what you pay. The kit includes a hard case as well as some other accessories that make it worth it for experienced pilots who need a drone that can really perform.
If you’ve had any experience flying the X-Star or any of the other video drones on our list, then we’d love to hear about it. Let us know if we missed one that you think is the best video drone out there today!
Popular Drone Accessories Recommended For You